Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Grampa's Shirt........Needs Buttons


This isn't really a story about buttons,
but you will see lots of them here:


Click Images to Enlarge


One of my strongest memories as a child was when I was greeted at the door of my grandparents home with a BIG hug from Grampa.
I can still feel his whiskers rubbing on my cheeks.





Sometimes my sisters and I would spend the night with
Gramma & Grampa.
I remember Grampa holding my hand to help guide me down the stairs in the morning to the kitchen....we had to be really quiet so we wouldn't wake up Gramma.




We enjoyed a delightful breakfast of
Tea & Toast.
We would dunk our toast in the tea,
eat the corners off the toast until it looked
like a bird house.




In the summer I remember sunny days and
walking through Grampa's garden...

We would sit under the grape arbor and eat grapes
warmed by the sun.





Little did I know that when I was grown,
I would live 3,000 miles away from Grampa.





I married and had two young children of my own.
I made them tea and toast and taught them to dunk and make birdhouses
from their toast.

We also have a grape arbor in the backyard, and each fall
when the grapes are full and plump
I pick and eat them and think of Grampa.




This is Grampa's shirt.
I have been wearing it for 20 years now...

I wear it out to work in the Thread Shed most days.

I wear it when I mow the lawn and work in the yard.

And, when I don't feel so good or I am tired,
I reach for this shirt to comfort me.




The collar is worn and a bit rough...

Sometimes when I turn my head to the side and brush up against the collar
I can feel Grampa's whiskers on my face again.

CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts

May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn

7 comments:

  1. How wonderful you had such sweet simple memories to hold close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I envy you. What beautiful memories. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet loving story , thanks for sharing and I love the old shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the tenderness of this story of your relationship with your grandfather. How lucky you are to have such memories. I only knew my one grandmother and she lived far enough from us that our visits were about every two years. Even so, I have wonderful memories of those visits. Thank you for sharing and I hope that grandpa's shirt lasts forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many Thanks for your tender and heart felt appreciation of my Grampa's Shirt. It is a bit wet and cold here in Oregon today so I reached for Grampa's shirt to keep me warm and dry.
    My Best To You,
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete