Thursday, April 7, 2011

Neocolor II Portrait......Lilly


Success is not final,
Failure is not fatal,
It is the Courage to continue that counts
Winston Churchill


I have been planning this portrait for months...

My sister took this photo of her grandchild, Lilly, and it captured my attention
and also created a desire in me to quilt it.

Click Images to Enlarge:


After months of struggling with self-doubt and my abilities,
I altered the image in Photoshop Elements...
and colored it with Neocolor II Crayons.





It sat for a few weeks.....waiting for me
to get up the courage to put a needle into it...


We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by
each experience in which we really stop
and look fear in the face,
we must do that which we think we cannot.
Eleanor Roosevelt


Today I marched out to the Thread Shed.
I decided to begin auditioning background fabrics.


This is Gel Glue Resist Fabric I painted 2 summers ago

It is playful, like a child and the blue goes well.





Another Gel Glue Resist Painted Fabric.
Too overwhelming and busy...





One more Gel Glue Resist Painted Fabric.
Fun....but too Geometric





Hand painted fabric I made last summer
Soft color.....but too much contrast.





Hand Painted Clean Up Cloth from last summer.
I love the watercolor look,
but the blues don't go together.





Hand Painted Cheesecloth
I love the texture here





Hand Painted Clean Up Cloth
Well.....it's just too blue !





Hand Painted Fabric I made last summer.
I love the way the green in the fabric
draws you right into those GREEN EYES.

We have a Winner !


Now, do I dare put this under the needle?
That little voice of self-doubt in my abilities is speaking up again.


You will never do anything in this world without courage.
It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.
Aristotle


I chose my quilting thread...
Took a deep breath...
and put this under the needle:




The quilting on her face is done...
Yes, I am relieved and thrilled.





Bottom Line Thread by Superior Threads
was quilted on her face.





YLI Variations Teddy Brown Thread
is quilted on her hair.



Here is the completed portrait,
still under the machine:


What is most important about this portrait,
is that it is a birthday gift for my sister.
Happy Birthday Tinker




All of our dreams can come true,
if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney





LuAnn & Tinker

CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts

CLICK HERE to view Neocolor Zinnia Portrait

CLICK HERE to view Gunnr's Portrait #1

CLICK HERE to view Flowers for My Sissy Slideshow

CLICK HERE to view ALL Neocolor Portraits

CLICK HERE to view Neocolor II Portrait Tutorial


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Beautiful. Did you print the photoshop altered picture on fabric and then enhance it with Neocolor crayons? Fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - love the fabric you chose for the border.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eileen,
    Yes, the photo was altered in Photoshop Elements 4, printed on fabric, colored with Neocolor II Watersoluble Crayons, then painted with water and textile medium.
    It is like coloring in a child's color book, which makes it a technique anyone can try.
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow, Batman! That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love your blog :-) You make so many nice things. You make my mind work - so hope we can use some of the idèas we get from you. My girl love the horse quilts - so maybe one day :-)
    Have a great week end

    ReplyDelete