Sunday, April 10, 2011

Compare......Neocolor II Crayons & Intense Pencils


I have received questions from a few of you
about the difference between:

Inktense Watercolor Pencils
and
Neocolor II Watersoluble Crayons











Here is what I have experienced in the last few months with these products:

Both Neocolor II and Inktense Pencils are highly pigmented products and I consider them a great value.

Both products go on pale, then after wetting them
they become incredibly VIBRANT.

I am able to do much more detailed work with the Inktense Pencils, especially human faces and getting into tight areas, where the Neocolor II Crayons seem a bit big and bulky in smaller spaces.

The Inktense Pencils have a good firm lead, it does not break when sharpened and the color goes a long way.

The Neocolor II glide nicely across fabric, which is my substrate.
The Inktense Pencils can drag a bit across fabric.
I always work on fabric that has been ironed to freezer paper, so the dragging issue is not a factor for me really.

The Neocolor II can cover a big area with color very quickly.
The Inktense Pencils are more suited for smaller work and take a lot longer to cover larger areas with color.

The Inktense Pencils probably leave the hand of the fabric a bit softer than the Neocolor II Crayons.

The Inktense Pencils, when wet, are truly like working with paint, but in a very controlled manner, which is great for detail work.

The Neocolor II Crayons are more likely to bleed on fabric than the Inktense Pencils.
I can somewhat control the bleeding of both products by using a solution of 1 part water and 1 part textile/fabric medium while painting over them.

The Neocolor II Crayons are better when you need to change a color...
For instance, you painted an area red and it dries,
then you decide you need to lighten that area with white,
you can cover a dark area with a light color very successfully.

I create quilted textiles and have noticed that I have a few tension problems with my sewing machine when quilting over the Neocolor II Crayons, that I don't experience when quilting over the Inktense Pencils.

I like both Neocolor II Crayons and Intense Pencils equally well.

My next experiment is to use both products in one quilted piece and see if they are compatible as far as color hues, texture, etc.
I am hoping to use the Inktense Pencils in the areas of high detail and
use the Neocolor II Crayons in the larger areas to fill in color.

I hope this review helps those of you who have been interested in trying both of these great products.

I find the most competitive price on these products at:

I purchase my own art supplies and this is an independent review of the products from my own experience using them.

CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts

CLICK HERE to view my Neocolor II Portraits

CLICK HERE to view my Inktense Portraits


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn

9 comments:

  1. Thank you LuAnn! I had been wondering the difference as I own one but not both coloring systems. I was going to ask but beat me to it! Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the information, I've only used the Neocolor crayons, I'm looking forward to a go with the Inktense pencils.

    Your blog is informative and inspirational. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information I was wondering about the pencils i have the neocolors. What brands of paints do you use when painting on these. Thanks for such a inspiring blogpage I enjoy come ever day to see what you have posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam
    I use a solution of 1 part water and 1 part textile/fabric medium to paint over the inktense pencils.
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the information - very useful indeed. Your blog is a great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you, thank you for that awesome review of both products! I've been wondering about both and now will give them both a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the information. I've never tried the neocolours, but I have a set of inktense that I haven't even opened yet. They may come out to play now that I've seen how they are used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You said "I always work on fabric that has been ironed to freezer paper, so the dragging issue is not a factor for me really"... do you use anything to keep the fabric onto the freezer paper? I have had issues with dragging and the fabric becoming distorted after wetting it when working with the InkTense pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ellen Ann,
    Are you trying to cover a large area with the Inktense Pencils? If so, you may want to try the Inktense Blocks, they work well for covering large areas with color.
    As far as your distortion problem, try pinning the freezer paper fabric down so it can't move. I do that sometimes when the fabric/freezer paper wants to curl up after it has been wet.
    I rarely have distortion problems tho.
    Be sure you take your time ironing the fabric onto the freezer paper to be sure it is well adhered. The freezer paper stabilizes the fabric and you shouldn't have any distortion problems. I don't know what kind of project you are working on, so it is difficult to give you advice.
    Good Luck,
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete