Sunday, May 2, 2010

Fun with Textile Paint



These painted leaves are the result of a play day with fellow instructor, Nancy Bryant.
We are preparing to teach a textile painting class in August.
It will be part of our:
Adventures in Art Quilting Series

This class is...
Adventures with Textile Paint
Saturday, August 14, 2010

JanniLou Creations Quilt Shop
1243 Main Street
Philomath Oregon
541-929-3795



Click Images to Enlarge:

These are rusted fabric scraps leftover from a quilt I created last year.
I just had to try out the textile paints on rusted fabric.
It took the paint beautifully.




Now to auditioning threads for machine quilting.
I decided to go with Highlights thread by Superior Threads.
It is not a heavy thread, and has a beautiful sheen.


I hear some banging around outside.....I better go investigate...

Over by the woodshed, where we keep the chicken feed, is an intruder...



Freckles is on the loose...




Like all escaped criminals.....she ran as soon as she saw me!




Hiding behind the chicken house, wasn't such a smart move...

I think she thought I couldn't find her back there...

She is back in the pasture and I can head back to the Thread Shed.




This is the Thread Shed.
It sits nicely between the chicken house and the barn.




Okay.... I am ready to get this piece under the needle and get some thread work done...




After all the excitement.....Suzy is settled back into her nest under the sewing machine and is ready for a good long afternoon of stitching...





I am pleased with the green Highlights Thread by Superior.
I stitched it all around the edges of the leaf.
It has a beautiful sheen that goes well with the painted leaf.

Now I am auditioning threads for the background quilting.
I am hoping for subtle stitching in the background, nothing to compete with the leaves.
I chose this brown Bottom Line Thread by Superior.
It is a very thin 60 wt trilobal polyester. It leaves a light fingerprint across the surface of the quilt.....it should do the trick.





The Bottom Line thread leaves a nice texture of lines in the background, but does not demand too much attention.......just what I was hoping for.





All 3 panels are quilted and ready for a binding treatment...





I tried quite a few binding fabrics, but they all overwhelmed these tiny panels.




I prefer this cleaner look, without a heavily bound edge treatment.
These are small panels and would be overwhelmed by a regular binding.

I plan to use a satin stitch edge treatment.




I am happy with the satin stitched edge.
I chose YLI Variations Teddy Brown Thread.
It gave a whisper of color to the edge treatment.




I chose a split hanging sleeve on the back side of the quilt.
It supports all 3 panels beautifully.




The panels are separate from each other, but hang together as one unit.

If you are interested in learning more about textile painting, this is the class for you!
Sign up early as we are limiting the class to 12 students.


I will leave you with one more image...

I call this........Beauty and the Beast...


I wanted to share our beautiful flowering Cherry Tree with you.
Unfortunately, my husband's beast is parked directly under it.
So please enjoy......Beauty & The Beast

CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts

CLICK HERE to view another class sample for this class

CLICK HERE to find out about Adventures in Shaving Cream Printing

CLICK HERE to find out about Adventures in Jello Printing

CLICK HERE to see more of my Rust Dyeing


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn


5 comments:

  1. Beautifully made and beautifully presented.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. LuAnn - I thought beauty and the beast referred to the cherry tree and the big ol' fir! I love what you did here. You are peaking my interest with the textile paints! later, Linda G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your 3-panel quilt is gorgeous! The rest of your blog looks great too, I will take the time to read it all.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!
    Best wishes from Australia,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing and fun to watch...that's so beautiful. best of wishes. najma

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing and fun...Thank you, very inspiring

    ReplyDelete