Saturday, May 22, 2010

Needle Felting.......Landscape




A few weeks ago I experienced hand felting for the first time.

This is what I made...


Felted Shoulder Bag




This bag was designed and created by fellow instructor, Nancy Bryant
We had a play day a few weeks ago and she provided me with a kit to create my own bag.




Hand Felted Shoulder Bags



I had such a great experience with my first felting project!

Today I plan to play around with felting again.


This time I am creating a felted landscape piece

Let's see what the day brings...





Hand Felting Needle Tool

I am pushing the safety shield down so you can see all of the very sharp barb needles.




Hand Felting Needle Tool

This safety shield helps protect you from felting your fingers along with the wool roving.




Layering several shades of blue wool roving at the top for the sky area.

On the bottom is a green piece of felt.





Using a very, very firm piece of foam on the underside, I push the needle felting tool up and down which pushes the wool roving deep into the fibers of the background.





I decided to add some fibers in with the wool roving





At this point, I am about an hour or so into this felted project.
These pieces move along rather quickly.
They are also very addicting.....you don't want to stop!




All of the wool roving has been felted at this point.

I am now ready to add some bead work to this...





The beads added lots of texture to this piece




This was a lot of fun to put together.



Hand Felted Landscape




Ivy growing INSIDE the doorway to the Thread Shed

I think a bit of trimming is in order!





Lavender Iris




Dark Pink Iris

CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts


CLICK HERE to see my first Needle Felting play day

CLICK HERE to view Fabric Painting

CLICK HERE to view Take-A-Long Quilts


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn

2 comments:

  1. HI!. Many thanks for the tutorial. Its has been the best I have seen of the explained by photos in the internet. Just a doubt; what kind of material do you use under de roving threads to fix them?, flannel coud it be?
    Thanks a lot,
    Clepia Rouge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am felting onto a green piece of felt.

    LuAnn Kessi

    ReplyDelete