Thursday, March 31, 2011

Neocolor Portrait.........Zinnia Quilted


Time to get the
Neocolor II Portraits
Under the Needle...


My Design Wall:


I decided to start with the Orange Zinnia
Why?
Because it looked like an easy one to get
warmed up on...





I chose this orange and yellow hydrangea fabric
for the backing.





Peel the fabric away from the
Freezer Paper Backing





The back side is also beautiful...





The Zinnia is Trimmed
and ready for basting...





I have been using this
Dream Green Batting
the last few months and really like it for wall art.




I pulled a few threads that caught my eye...




I chose these two threads for the quilting on this flower





I am using
Bottom Line Thread
to quilt around each individual petal





I am using
Bottom Line Thread
in the Bobbin





All of the petals have been outlined
with very fine Bottom Line Yellow Thread



Time for a break...


Gunnr needs a treat...





He just loves Granola Bars...





Gunnr's tummy is full
and he is napping under the sewing machine.



Now....Back to Quilting


The red areas on the petals will be quilted with
Madeira SuperTwist Metallic Red Thread
I am using a 90/14 Topstitch Titanium Needle





The fine SuperTwist Metallic Thread
adds just a hint of glitz to the flower.




I chose Yellow Brytes Thread
to quilt in the yellow areas of the petals.
This thread is quite thick and makes a statement.





The Yellow Brytes Thread quilted beautifully...





All of the quilting on the flower is done...





Variations Grass Green Thread
Will be used to echo quilt around the flower petals.





I am pleased with the way the echo quilting in the green background
enhances the petal shapes.




I plan to quilt all of the Neocolor II Portraits first,
then bind all of them at one time.

I will be quilting on the Pink Iris tomorrow...

CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts

CLICK HERE to view Painting the Zinnia


CLICK HERE to view Neocolor II Portrait Tutorial

CLICK HERE to view my Thread Tips

CLICK HERE to view my Applique Work

CLICK HERE to view Classes


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing in such detail, it makes me want to go plunder the local thread emporium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog and your pictures are a joy! Looking at the pictures of your beautiful flowers, your family and your magical creations makes me happy. I have made only one quilt and I must admit that I struggled as I don't seem to have much talent. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charline,
    All great quilts start and end in the same place, and that is in the heart of the quiltmaker. You don't need to possess special talents to create a quilt. Just your love of quilted textiles is enough. We were all beginners and we all had to start somewhere. Just be sure to choose a quilt that is appropriate for your skill level now. Your quilting will get better with each quilt you make. Don't be too hard on yourself and remember to have fun and enjoy the process. Also, I recommend quilting classes.
    Wishing you continued success in all you do.
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete