Monday, March 28, 2011

Thermofax Screen Printing........Play Day


Today is the day...

Playing with Thermofax Screen Printing


Click Images to Enlarge:

Versatex Screen Printing Inks
They leave the hand of the fabric very soft.




Thermofax Screens, Squeegees & Bondo Scrapers

The table is set for......FUN !




This is an image of a metal tree grate I took in
Lake Tahoe last year...




Here is the tree grate as a Thermofax Screen...



Time to make our first print:

Loading the well with gold Versatex...




Drawing a fabric squeegee across the screen...




Taking a peek at the print...




Very happy with the print...




The gold Versatex is great on dark fabrics.





I took this image of an old wooden box at an antique auction
last year...




Here is the image as a thermofax screen...




I chose brown Versatex for printing...




Here is the wooden box image printed on fabric...




With gold Versatex, I added stars on top of the box print.
Great layered look and texture.





This is a photo of rusty culvert screens piled up in our barn lot





This is the culvert screens printed on rusted fabric.





I took this image of a Ponderosa Pine Tree
in Lake Tahoe last year...





Here is the Ponderosa Bark printed with Pearl Versatex
on dark blue batik...
It looks like lace.




I plan to cut this into strips and border a small quilt with it.





This is a commercial screen I purchased from

Lynn created custom screens from my original photos.
She was a delight to work with and helped me choose which of my images were most suitable for thermofax screens.




The yellow fabric is a commercial print.
I screen printed with 2 of Lynn's screens on top of it.





This was a really ugly clean up cloth.
The red squares printed on top
really brought this back from the dead.





Kathi, my play mate, is printing on a dark batik fabric
with the pearl versatex screen ink.





I took this photo of Poppy Pods two summers ago
during a Quilts in Gardens Tour





Poppy Pods
Printed on Fabric





By the looks of it...
This was an extra fun Play Day !





Now it's time to clean up...

This was our very FIRST time experimenting with
Thermofax Screens.
Yes, we plan on playing some more with them...
I will keep you posted.

CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts

CLICK HERE to view Thermofax Play Day 2


CLICK HERE to view my Art Quilts

CLICK HERE to view my Tutorials

CLICK HERE to view Textile Painting


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn

6 comments:

  1. do you have a thermofax to make the screens or do you send off all photos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Candyce,
    If you go back and read through the blog you will see that Lynn Krawczyk fibraartysta made the screens. If you click on her name, you will be taken to her website.
    I recommend her highly.
    My Best To You,
    LuAnn in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those new screens are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this! My MIL wanted to do photo emulsion screen printing this summer. The chemicals are what were giving me reservations since I have a septic system. I bet she doesn't have a clue this service is out there. I just spent too much time watching Lynn's videos. This looks like a ton of fun. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, makes me want to start ANOTHER hobby! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how the tree grate turned out. The gold on black is very dramatic. Printing/painting is lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete