Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Neocolor II Portrait.......Hay Hauling


These Neocolor II Portraits
have been a wonderful way to blend my love of
Photography and Quilting


Click Images to Enlarge:


This is an image of my favorite guy...
He delivered hay to our neighbors for their horses
last fall.





After altering the image in Photoshop Elements 4
It is now printed on 13 x 19 Fabric.





It took several different shades of green Neocolor II
to achieve a realistic hay color





I am a bit relieved to have the jeans colored in at this point.
There were lots of wrinkles and shaded areas, and the hay dust down at the bottom of the jeans was a bit of a challenge.





At this point...
All areas have been colored in with Neocolor II Crayons.
I know it appears a bit light and faded out, but wait until it is painted.



After the portrait is painted...
it comes to life:


So far, this is the most challenging portrait I have done...
But, I do love a good challenge!

This piece is now ready to be basted and quilted.
I will post more images when I get this under the needle.

CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts

For those of you new to this blog:
CLICK HERE to view Neocolor II Tutorial

CLICK HERE to view Photoshop Elements Tutorial


CLICK HERE to view Zinnia Portrait

CLICK HERE to view Quilting Anniversary Slideshow

CLICK HERE to view my Woven Quilts


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn

7 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with your artistic ability to bring your photographs to a quiltrd piece! You have a fabulous sense of color and a crazy amount of talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dirt Road Quilter,
    You make me blush with your very kind comments.
    Thank you for your support.
    My Best To You,
    LuAnn in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is an inspiration. The fabric and quilts that you do are beautiful. Would you mind sharing the name of the fixative that you use with your neocolors. I have been unable to find a liquid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue,
    I use 1 part water and 1 part textile medium or fabric medium. If you use all water, the colors can bleed into one another.
    This is a very fun technique that yields results that always surprise me!
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi LuAnn,

    This Neocolor work is very beautiful. I have a few questions. Do you color first with the Neolcolor stick and then paint over it with the mixture of water and fabric medium? Does this mixture keep the paint and color from spreading too much? Where do you buy fabric medium and do you have any brand preferences? Lastly, how do you fix the color to the fabric so that it would not bleed or wash off? Ironing, hair dryer, something else?

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sewmuch2do,
    I am replying to your comment here so all can benefit from your questions:
    The photo image is altered in Photoshop Elements and printed on fabric.
    The next step is to color in the printed image with Neocolor II Crayons (be certain they are Neocolor II).
    Then you paint over the colors with a mixture of 1 part water and 1 part Textile/Fabric medium (any brand works fine).
    After the painting completely dries, you can heat set it with an iron. It is now permanent and can be washed if desired.
    The textile medium does change the hand of the fabric some, which I appreciate since I enjoy quilting on a stabilized fabric.
    I am teaching this portrait technique as a class on June 18, 2011 here in Oregon.
    Wishing you all the best,
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. LuAnn,

    Thanks for your quick response and info. I wish I could take the class but I am located in Va and it is quite a hike. I will keep checking your schedule and maybe one day you will come to East Coast!

    ReplyDelete