Friday, March 18, 2011

Neocolor Portrait.......Horse Herd


After herding yearling cattle this morning,
I decided to treat myself to an afternoon of creativity...


Click Images to Enlarge:


This week I spent time importing my photography into Photoshop Elements.
I removed the color from the photos and printed them onto fabric.
This is a photo of a horse herd I took last year...




These are wild horses waiting for adoption from the BLM





The horses are colored and painted...
Just need to add some blue sky and clouds...





This is now ready to be basted and quilted...





I am hoping to get into the Thread Shed next week and get a few portraits under the needle !



This photograph was taken by my sister.
As soon as she sent it to me, I just knew I had to quilt it...

I had some time before dinner tonight to get some color on it.
I need to invest in dark brown Neocolors...
I am not happy with the reddish hair color.

CLICK HERE to view this Quilted

CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts

CLICK HERE to view more Neocolor II Portraits

CLICK HERE to view Neocolor II Portrait Tutorial


This will be available as a Beginners Portrait Class this summer:
June 18, 2011
Philomath, Oregon


Have a great weekend!


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn

4 comments:

  1. I love your work , you are an inspiration ,you are so creative . I love horses so this one is especially nice .What are you using to do the painting on the fabric ? I've never tried anything like this but sure would love to . Thanks for sharing your amazing work . Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luann, that is so interesting. How did you enlarge the picture so big onto the fabric? Is there a specific tutorial on that for photoshop? I bought the software last summer, but find it's a bit over my head! Your horses are stunning; love them. It's very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheila, Leslie & Heather,
    Thanks for your supportive comments.
    These portraits are a great deal of fun and the results are always better than I ever expect.
    After the portrait is colored in with the Neocolor II Watersoluble crayons then I paint over it with fabric medium.
    I import my photos into Photoshop Elements, then I size my image to 13 x 19 (I have a widepath printer), then I use filters to remove the color, change the saturation, etc.
    The secret to a good image for this technique is one that is very close up, and not too detailed.
    I am teaching this as a class in June. I will post more details soon.
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete