Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sketch Book......Divide and Conquer



Here are a few ways to fill up a big, open space in the background areas of your quilts:


You divide up the open space with lines...


Then fill in each area with a different design




I divided this area into 3 sections, then added a feather spine in each one:


Then add plumes to the spines










Horizontal wavy lines divide up this space...


It is FUN to fill up each section with a different design.



Triangle shapes divide up this space:


This was a lot of fun filling in the triangles!















A long curly line divides up this space:


Then echo the line with another line.

Now you are ready to fill in all the odd shapes.




Last week we spent time in Central Oregon to attend a farm auction


Sunset in Culver, Oregon












Sunset in the Corn Patch






Unfortunately, a forest fire outside of Sisters, Oregon is responsible for this gorgeous sunset.

CLICK HERE to view My Quilts

CLICK HERE to view:  My Art Quilts

CLICK HERE to view:  My Take-A-Long Quilts

CLICK HERE to view: ALL Sketch Book posts


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn Kessi

5 comments:

  1. Hi LuAnn
    I just wanted to Thank you for sharing all the quilting sketches.
    How do you like your Sweet 16 and how long have you had it? What made you decide on the Sweet 16 table model? I am considerating one, I would appreciate your comments.
    Love your blog, Thank you
    Dee dw7645@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dee,
    Since you are an Anonymous commenter I cannot return your email, so I will answer you here:
    I have had my S16 for a year in October. I tried every sit down long arm on the market and it was the best. Originally i planned to buy a George sit down long arm, but it had a tiny bobbin and a terrible, unresponsive foot petal the size of a brick, the needle took 2 or 3 more stitches after you stopped, and I didn't like quilting from the side. The S16 has a great read out window on the front of the machine that gives you lots of options and the best and most responsive foot petal I have ever used. It has the large capacity Class M bobbin which lasts for hours of quilting time. The S16 is a fully functional long arm machine that has everything. The other long arm brands strip down their sit down machines and don't have all of the features that the S16 provides. Most of all you just need to sit down and test them all out for yourself. I attended the Machine Quilting Expo in Portland last year and tried them all out. The S16 was by far the best for me.
    I hope this helps,
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job. Looks like you are having fun. I love doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome pictures! Awesome sketches! Thank you so much for sharing your ideas...I really appreciate the lessons! :- )

    ReplyDelete
  5. LuAnn,
    Thanks for all your inspirational posts both here and on the S16 forum. I just ordered a S16 and am expecting it next week. My first quilt will be one for my son's birthday, and I think I will quilt it with the fern motif you used on your son's quilt. I was looking at your sketch trying to figure out how to quilt it. It looks like you quilted the spine for each leaf, quilted up one side, down the other, then branched off in the middle for the next leaf. So you just backtrack over the spine as you're going? I would appreciate any tips!! Thanks for sharing all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete