Monday, April 13, 2020

Improv....Technique 7


Curves....Freestyle Cutting and Piecing


I pulled a bunch of my hand dyes...



I set myself up at the sewing machine:


I put a portable pressing station nearby

and a small cutting mat.

Just outside the window is the red goat barn

and yearling cattle out in the field...

I won't want for company.



Block...1

I layered yellow and purple hand dyes:


I drew an organic shape 

and cut it out freehand...





The bottom half is stitched together.

At this point the seam is wonky...





It presses down perfectly flat.





Time to piece the top seam...





First curved block is done.





When you layer 2 fabrics...

you get a 2 for 1



Block...2


Again, I layered 2 fabrics,

drew out the curved shape,

cut it out freehand...




Here are the 2 blocks....ready for stitching










Both blocks are stitched at this point,

but there is room for more curves.





Using a chalk pencil, I drew out

a second shape...





The shape is cut out through both layers...





Both blocks are ready for stitching...





Most of the curved seams need trimming...






Both curved blocks are pieced and trimmed.



Block...3


This time I am layering 3 different fabrics...

I drew out the shapes





All of the freehand cutting is done...





It is fun to pick and choose

which colors go into each block...




















Since I used 3 layers of fabric...

this block was a 3 for 1











CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts




May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,

LuAnn

3 comments:

  1. What great blocks!!! I love cutting without a ruler - they always want to move on me!! Your hand-dyed fabrics are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the fabric always wants to creep away as you freehand cut.....I lift the rotary cutter so the fabric can rest a bit, then continue....it seems to work.

      Many Thanks,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  2. I love your organic free form shapes. I have used this technique but not in the shapes you are using.........that looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete