Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sketch Book.....Quilting Designs



To keep my free motion quilting skills tuned up,
I practice designs in a sketch book:




Many Sketch Books...





I keep sketch books in the pick up...





Sketch Books by the computer...





Sketch Books in my tote bag...





I draw out designs in waiting rooms...






Whenever I see something that I think might work
for a quilting motif, I draw it out while I am inspired.





Drawing out quilting designs with pen and paper
helps your muscle memory...





Then, when you sit down at your machine,
the design just flows out of your hands and onto the quilt surface.





The more you draw the better your quilting skills
will be...



This is a design I have been practicing for the last
couple of weeks:


This is the quilting motif I will be using on the

When a Sketch Book is filled up,
I store it in the drawer next to my Sweet Sixteen machine.
When I have a quilt under the needle and need a design idea,
I just thumb through the Sketch Books.



We woke up to more snow today:


This is the view out the front door...





It has been snowing for 18 hours non-stop.
The yearling cattle would rather have sunshine and tall grass.



CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts


CLICK HERE to view: Bed Frames in the Garden

CLICK HERE to view: Quilting on the Nature Walk Quilt

CLICK HERE to view: Surface Design Techniques


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full of Quilting Designs,
LuAnn Kessi

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your sketch books. I need to start this, maybe it will help my hand tremors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to start a sketch book but just haven't done it. What size are your books?? Your feathers are beautiful.
    Also have bought the neocolors and want to try my hand at that.
    Love reading your blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sketch books are 9 x 6 inches. It is a good size, not too big, you can take them with you easily.
    The paper is heavy, so I don't poke a hole in it with my pen.
    Once you start drawing in a sketch book it becomes addictive and you always want a book with you. I usually have 6 books going at one time. I leave one in every room in the house, in all of our vehicles, and especially by the computer so I can practice motifs I see online.
    Have FUN!
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes. Feelin Groovy; cool design looks great for your quilt! The snow is pretty... for now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I practice on a "magna doodle" board, but I have nothing left to show when I am done. Your way is certainly way better. Will have to try even though I get scared of a blank page in a pretty book and cannot start for fear of messing up. Did you have to go over that hurdle too?
    Your blog is a favorite of mine and I have been reading it for a while. I so enjoy your beautiful photos of the hard work your family does on your property and your quilting is varied and so full of beautiful colors.
    How do you like your "Sweet Sixteen"? I too bought one and wish I had more time to spend with it. My arthritic hands have been very thankful of this addition to my quilting arsenal.
    Annick
    annick5424 at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Annick,

    Don't start on the very first page of the sketch book......start somewhere in the back of the book.
    Then when you get all warmed up, put something you like on the front page........it works for me!
    This is how I start every new sketch book.

    Your sketches are a learning tool. When something doesn't work out on paper, leave it in the book, it will help you to improve the next time you try out that design.

    I love my Sweet 16......I will be quilting my son's feeling groovy quilt on it tomorrow.
    I purchased extension tables for both sides of the Sweet 16.......I make a lot of BIG quilts, so needed the extra table surface to support them. I also purchased the open toe hopping foot, and what an improvement that has made.
    A TOWA bobbin gauge is an absolute MUST for setting your bobbin tension fast and easy! There are youtube tutorials on line to show you how to use it.

    Many Thanks for your kind and supportive comments.

    My Best To You,
    LuAnn
    May Your Bobbin Always Be Full

    ReplyDelete