Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Feeling Groovy.....Machine Quilting Tips


Day 9


Machine Quilting.......continues:


I thought I would answer a few questions I have been
receiving from blog readers...



This drawer sits right next to the
Sweet Sixteen:


Tools of the Trade...





The Sweet Sixteen
BIG Class M Bobbins





I struggled for a few weeks setting the bobbin tension.
Then I found out a Long Arm secret...
This bobbin gauge makes life so easy!
I set my gauge between 180 - 200

CLICK HERE: Towa Gauge Tutorial









Trim your threads close to the quilt without
the worry of snipping into the quilt.










I feel clumsy wearing quilting gloves.
Instead I use Neutrogena (greaseless) hand cream
to get a better grip on the quilt.
It lasts for hours before I need to re-apply.





Make Up Brushes
work great for cleaning out the bobbin and housing.





Flower Pincushion by Fons and Porter
works great for organizing needles by sizes.





Spiral Eye Needles

I use these to bury my thread tails





The Open Toe Hopping Foot
gives me better visibility right to the tip of the needle
CLICK HERE to watch Video




I rarely mark quilting lines,
but when I do I use a Chubby Crayon.
The mark irons off easily.





Sketch Book
I work out all of my designs in a sketch book.
I also practice on paper before I go to the machine.
It improves my muscle memory.
CLICK HERE to view my Sketch Books




I quilted for 8 hours today....






I will be back at it tomorrow...



CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts


CLICK HERE to view: Sweet Sixteen You Tube Video

CLICK HERE to view: ALL Feeling Groovy posts

CLICK HERE to view: Painted Fabric Tote Bags Tutorial

CLICK HERE to view: Slide show of my Quilts


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn Kessi

5 comments:

Aart said...

LuAnn, what a wonderfull quilt is this. Thank you for the good idee of the pincushon for all your needles.
http://quiltaart.blogspot.com

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Nice post! Beautiful quilting; and great tips.

Sheila said...

Simply beautiful LuAnn!

Sew Loquacious Angela said...

Great tips! Thanks!
Your quilting looks terrific!
Angela

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Thank you for sharing your tools of the trade! Very helpful since I am in the market for the same machine you have. I adore that quilting pattern - your quilt will be fabulous!