Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sunflower, Chickens & Iris

Monday I spent the day finishing up the design work on the sunflower quilt top. It went quicker than I thought it would. I added more sunflowers in the lower portion, and a lot more leaves to the stems. It was fun adding the final touches to a vision I have had in my head for over 5 years now! It is finally a reality. At the end of the day, I was a bit sad that this part of the quilting process had ended.

Click Images to Enlarge:

About 24 inches is laying on the floor. It is difficult to see all 100 inches of this quilt on the wall vertically. I decided to cover some of these gorgeous sunflowers with leaves. The quilt appeared a bit too perfect for me. Mother nature would have leaves over the top of the flowers...so I followed her lead.

I have a day or two of applique stitching ahead of me. Next week I will take all the leftover fabrics and piece a scrappy back.....also known as......Back Art.
One more chance to get a bit of design work in.......my favorite part of the process.


The iris began to bloom today. At first I was upset to see it raining all over them, but I took the camera outdoors after the rain and the rain drops added such beauty to the blooms.


I eagerly wait a whole year to see these babies in full bloom. They make the wait worthwhile...

Mother nature can put any colors together and they always work....they always look wonderful together.

So far there are only 5 blooms....out of 100 flowers that will bloom. I will post more images as we get more blooms.

We had a lot of fun tonight at our Permission 2 Play class. We made paper quilts. It was so therapeutic.....cutting and fusing and laughing.......I will sleep good tonight.

CLICK HERE to view My Quilts


To see more Sunflower posts CLICK HERE

To see more Flower posts CLICK HERE

To see my New Work CLICK HERE

To see the Thread Shed CLICK HERE

To see my Exhibit Quilts CLICK HERE

To see Tutorials CLICK HERE

May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn

2 comments:

  1. That quilt is amazing. Must have taken so much hard work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words Seth.
    This quilt is a joy. It makes me happy to work on it. It isn't really work, perhaps a bit of determination is required, but truly a joyful project for me. I have only worked on this quilt in the summer months when my own sunflower patch is growing in the front yard, or else it would have been completed by now. I have enjoyed having a seasonal project.
    My Best To You,
    LuAnn Kessi

    ReplyDelete