Thursday, October 14, 2021

Double Cap Rivets...

 

I have been installing tote bag handles

with double cap rivets for a few years...



This vintage fishing tackle box 

holds everything I need...





It keeps the tools organized

and easy to grab when I am installing rivets...






This little box is a basic kit

which comes with rivets, a hole punch

and installation tools...

Everything you need.





There are 3 different sizes of rivets

and several finishes on the rivets.



I prefer double cap rivets:


This is the outside of the bag

and the rivets look great on the leather handle...






This is the inside of the bag

and the rivets looks just as nice...

a clean, finished look.





The rivets are very strong, easy to install,

and I don't have to stitch through thick leather

with my sewing machine.





It gives a very professional appearance

to the tote bag...



Get yourself a double cap rivet kit

and give it a try !


I need to get back to packing up my

quilting supplies for an upcoming

quilt retreat.


CLICK HERE:  Double Cap Rivet Tutorials


CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts




May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,

LuAnn


12 comments:

  1. Regardless of the handle type, I never feel like sewing it will stand up to the weight that will be going into it! Great idea for the rivets...now to find some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Farm Quilter,
      You must be like me....load those tote bags up to over flowing! I buy my rivets on Amazon....double cap rivets. You can buy the rivets separately, or buy a little rivet kit with everything you need for about $15. I watched You Tube videos to see how to go about installing the rivets....easier than I expected.

      Hugs,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  2. Where do you get the leather for the handles? Do I need to learn how to tan deer hides?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Farm Quilter,
      You can check our leather handles on etsy.....lots of good ones at good prices.

      Hugs,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  3. Love the raven!!! Yes, the rivets do look nice on either side! Who knew!! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robbie,
      That raven has been with me since I found him at the gift shop in Yellowstone Park a few years back. He is the muse in the thread shed!

      Hugs,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  4. Could you post a link of where to buy the rivets? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy ytsmom,
      I purchased my double cap rivet kit on Amazon for $15. I watched You Tube videos to figure out how to install them....much easier than I expected. Give it a try!

      Hugs,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing this. You always have great tutorials and/or ideas. I remember almost every technique you share and I know just where to go to get the info when I am ready to do the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela,
      So glad you get a bit of inspiration now and then! We all love to learn from one another now don't we!

      Hugs,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  6. I love the look of the rivets, and your gorgeous bag was the push I needed, so I just did an Amazon order. Can I ask if you make your own leather straps, or where do you purchase them from? Your bag, and the crow/raven is fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dahn,
      I purchase my leather straps on etsy. Lots of great straps at good prices!

      Hugs,
      LuAnn

      Delete