Monday, September 28, 2009

Evolution of a Quilter -Virtual Tour of Exhibit 2


Virtual Quilt Exhibit Tour 2


Click Images to Enlarge:

Grandmothers Flowergarden
&
Strength and Courage

In The Presence of the Past

Vintage Quilt Pattern: Grandmothers Flowergarden

Started in 1993 and Completed in 2003

This was my take-along-quilt. It traveled everywhere with me. Sewn by hand in planes, trains and automobiles; in doctors, dentists & orthodontist offices; at my children’s sporting events, ball practices, even at a wedding or two. I was tempted to sew a few stitches at long traffic lights in town.

It contains over 12,000 half-inch hexagons & 2,500 yards of thread for hand piecing.

The yellow center in each of the 150 flowers was cut from my grandmother’s house dress.

LuAnn McDonald Kessi

Harlan, Oregon

http://luannkessi.blogspot.com/

Techniques: Hand Piecing, Long Arm Quilted by Amy of Idaho



Feathered Circle quilted in the center of each flower


My Grandparents, Helen & Nicholas Fusco
Helen's yellow house dress is the center of each flower



Strength & Courage

Strength & Courage

Created in honor of my son, Heath’s,

high school graduation in 2003.

This is an original design that I quickly drew on

a sticky note one morning. It represents all the

things in life that Heath loves, especially growing

up along the Big Elk River in Harlan, Oregon.


LuAnn McDonald Kessi

Harlan, Oregon

http://luannkessi.blogspot.com/

Techniques: Machine Pieced, Fusible Machine Appliqué,

Long Arm Quilted by Roxanne Eneroth, Newport, Washington


The quilt you are making is an expression of who you are.

Even if you intend to give it as a gift or keep it yourself,

this quilt reflects your heart. It contains a piece of your soul and the work of your hands, so let it be the joy of your heart.




Detailed view of water at the bottom of the quilt.

If you are in the Corvallis, Oregon area you can view my quilts in person.
CLICK HERE for more info.


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn

To see my New Work CLICK HERE

To see the Thread Shed CLICK HERE

To see my Exhibit Quilts CLICK HERE

To see Tutorials CLICK HERE

3 comments:

  1. Luann, your Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt is my favorite. Wonderful memories, and a wonderful traveling project. You can be very proud of the time you spent on it. And it looks perfectly flat! Great workmanship! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed. I too made a grandmother's garden honoring my mother that traveled with me for a year but yours is even more detailed! I love your creation for your son. You are a true artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many Thanks! to all of you for your kind comments about my solo exhibit. It was one of the best "Quilt-Related" favors I have ever done for myself. This exhibit gave me a deadline for many of my personal quilts. It made me realize that sometimes you need to put yourself at the TOP of your To-Do-List. While preparing for this exhibit I have grown as a quilter and learned much.
    Again, Thanks....
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete