Monday, March 13, 2023

Cougar Quilt...

 

In between trips to the calving barns

to check on the mama cows...


I have been doing a little stitching !



Cougar Panel  by Hoffman Fabrics 2018

This has been hanging around for years...

it is time to do something with this.

I pulled some fabrics from the cupboard

for a border treatment...let's see what happens.



I am thinking...Star Blocks





I do love the orange grunge background fabric...





I haven't done a lot of traditional, precision

piecing the last 10 years...

but, it came right back to me!





These star blocks are lots of FUN !





The more star blocks I made,

the more I wanted to make !





This Dolly Madison Star block

has always been a favorite of mine...





Star within a Star block



Let's get the star blocks up on the design wall

and see what shakes out:


The orange background fabric works nicely...





This is working...

I'll make more star blocks.



We haven't had the best weather conditons

for our calving season this year......sigh.

I took this photo out our back door...

it looks across the river at our 2 calving barns.

This is rough weather on our newborn calves.

The calves need lots of TLC 

from the Cowboy and I.

Two weeks ago Golden Girl's calf was frozen

when we found it in 19 degree weather.  

We thawed her out with

my hair dryer, tubed her full of colostrom

and she was alive a few hours later, 

to our surprise!

I have been too busy to take any calf photos,

but I will when things get a bit easier.

Bye For Now...


CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts




May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,

LuAnn Kessi


8 comments:

  1. The cougars are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you and the cowboy for taking care of that calf!!!! Love this piece! Isn't if fun to go back to the 'old' patterns...they work so well with this panel! As always you do great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robbie! I do love me some traditonal star blocks!

      Many Thanks,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  3. The cougar and the stars around it are really beautiful. But even more beautiful is that you were able to save Golden Girl's calf. You and the Cowboy are such good stuarts. Hope that will be the only mishap during this calving season. All the best from Texas. Annick H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annick....Yes, the frozen calf was a stressful day for us. When we found the calf, Golden Girl was bawling and bawling and took us over to show us her calf in the snow. We loaded the calf in the pick up and took it over the hill and put it in the basement by the furnace. We rubbed it down with towels to dry it off. I blew the hair dryer on it for a few hours. We never got much of a response from it and didn't hold out much hope. Took its temp with a rectal thermometer and it wouldn't even read anything. By that evening its eyes were open, but it was limp and could not stand up. We tubed it a few times with colostrum and hoped for the best. The next morning it was mooing from the basement......music to our ears. It sucked down a bottle of milk. We loaded it in the pick up and brought it back to Golden Girl. She was so happy to see it again! We brought both of them to the barn and kept them there for a week until the calf would nurse on the cow. Our grand daughter named the calf Elsa.....after the Disney princess in the movie Frozen. The calf is now out in the pasture running circles around Golden Girl and playing with all the other calves. I never would have believed this if I hadn't seen it all with my own eyes.

      When you are in the livestock business you are just a heart beat away from death and sorrow. You must take the bitter with the sweet. This time things ended up sweet.

      Hugs,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the long explanation. As a fan of Dr Pol, I can picture you in your basement tending to Elsa (what a great name!) and the joy of Golden Girl to get her baby back. Glad your hard work and dedication were rewarded in such a sweet way. All the best. Annick H.

    ReplyDelete