Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Hand Piecing and Covering Hay Bales...

 

I am making progress on the 

Horse Quilt Panel





English Paper Pieced.....Borders







I finished the 4th border last week...





Last evening I pieced the 4 borders together
which creates a frame around the horse panel...





I put a chair in the photo so you can see
the actual size of the piece.

My next opportunity, I will applique' this frame
to the horse quilt panel.




Most of the hay bales we made last summer
have been stored in all the barns...


The rest of them are stored outdoors...



It is time to get them covered:


We use large sheets of plastic 100 x 28 feet...





This plastic is heavy.

It is unrolled on top of the stacked hay bales...





Then the plastic is pulled down over the sides of the stack...





Now it is ready to be tied down...





The tying crew gets to work...





The different color paint circles on the ends
of the bales lets us know which field
the hay is made from.





In just a couple of hours,
all of the stacks are covered...





We will feed these bales first.

After they are all gone,

we will feed the bales that are in barn storage.


We feed over 400 bales a year,

which is nearly 200 tons of hay.


CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,

LuAnn Kessi

8 comments:

  1. Your hay bales are impressive, but your quilt is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy!

      Wishing you a wonderful Autumn,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  2. I really like your horse panel quilt. Here in ND I love to see hay bales out in the fields....
    survivor972002@midco.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly enjoyed this post! You have really done well with that horse panel.Great creativity. Also enjoyed the hay process. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pamela,
    Many thanks for your very kind comments.

    My Best To You,
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your horse panel quilt!! Your design of the borders is fabulous!!! Covered hay bales in the field remind me of bread covered to rise! You work hard for your cattle and take such good care of them. It must be close to time to move them from summer to winter pastures...I do enjoy the videos you take of everything you do on the farm.

    ReplyDelete