Thursday, September 23, 2010

Metal Leaves on Quilt...


This is where we left off on Wednesday...


The Tree and Leaves are painted.
We are now ready to get this basted into a quilt sandwich.





505 Spray

At this point, the quilt is 20 x 30 inches.
Some basting spray will hold all the layers together securely during the quilting process.





Scissors work nicely to cut out the leaf shapes embossed on the sheet of metal.

You can click the images twice to zoom in closer.




Before I begin the quilting process...
I cut out a few leaves to see how they look on the tree with the painted leaves.
I think this is turning out like I envisioned it.





Auditioning Threads

I decided to choose threads that would blend with the painted fabric.
I don't want to cover up all of that beautiful sun dyeing with threads that demand too much attention.





I chose the green variegated thread to outline the tree and leaves.





The Yellow Variegated thread will work for the center section.

These are YLI Variations Polyester Threads
They have a subtle variation of color, which I prefer.





The yellow thread is adding lots of texture, but is not covering up the sun dyed fabric.





The Pink Variations thread is also working great.





I decided the Purple thread was a bit too dark for the purple section of the quilt.
I chose the Blue thread for this area.





All of the quilting has been completed...





Trimming off the excess
Nearly all quilts benefit from being trimmed down a bit.





Need to cut out more leaves and get them positioned on the quilt to be stitched down later.





A glue stick kept the leaves in place until I was able to stitch them onto the quilt.





The needle stitched through the metal leaves like butter.

Feed Dogs down and free motion quilting foot.





I anchored the stitches at the beginning and end of each leaf.





Leaves stitched in place





Name Plate
I embossed my name & date on a piece of scrap metal, cut it out and button hole stitched it onto the front side of the quilt.

A rotary cutter worked easily to cut the name plate to size.




At this point I am undecided on an edge treatment.
Not certain if I need a binding, or perhaps just a facing.
I also may add a few leaves that have blown off the tree.

For now, I will take this to class today as a sample for the students.

CLICK HERE to see the previous post on this quilt.


CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts


CLICK HERE to view Gel Glue Resist

CLICK HERE to view Fabric Paper

CLICK HERE to view Feathered Star


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full of Metal,
LuAnn

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

That is fabulous!

LuAnn Kessi said...

Vicki,

You are just a doll with your always supportive comments.
Perhaps someday I can do some gorgeous dyeing like you do.
Many thanks for your kind words,
LuAnn in Oregon

Heather said...

That is so cool. I wouldn't have thought you could stitch down the metal so simply. Wonderful.

Chris said...

Fantastic!! Thanks so much for showing us how its done. You're very talent and brave. I'm not sure I'd try sewing through metal with my machine. I'm amazed you did it and with such beautiful results!

LuAnn Kessi said...

Hi Chris,
The metal sews like butter.
It won't hurt your machine a bit.
It may dull your needle, but you just pop in a new one.
As far as being protective of my Bernina, which I absolutely love, I look at it this way...
I want to get the most out of my machine, before my husband's next wife gets her hands on it!
LuAnn
p.s. I am happily married and adore my husband.

The Vegetarian Hunter said...

It looks fantastic! So glad you shared it.