Sunday, October 11, 2009

Foiling on Fabric



Click Images to Enlarge:

Foiling glue was applied to the metal swirl and stamped on the surface of the fabric.
Then foil glue was applied to the plastic grid on the left, and stamped on the surface of the fabric.
Then BoNash adhesive crystals were sprinkled like salt across the surface.
I waited a few minutes for the glue to become tacky.
Then I placed gold and silver foil sheets on top of glued areas and heat set it with an iron, using the side of the iron to burnish the foil onto the fabric.


The fabric remains soft, not stiff at all.



Foil glue was applied to different sizes of circles and stamped across the surface of the fabric. Not too much glue, or it will take too long to dry.
The gold foil sheet on the right was placed on the fabric and burnished with the side of a hot iron.

IMPORTANT: There are several glues suitable for foiling, so be sure to read the directions for the particular glue you are using.

I like the Jones Tones Foil glue because it is formulated to dry quickly, and it is thick and does not run as easily as others I tried.



IMPORTANT: Rinse the glue off everything immediately.
Wash-As-You-Go



This old iron with a Teflon sole plate is perfect for foiling.
Nothing sticks to it.



The background for this piece was leftover from a jello printing class.
I used a plastic needlepoint sheet to make the grid design in jello.

I painted foil glue onto the lid of the alcohol bottle and stamped dots all over.
Then I spooled out adhesive threads onto the fabric surface.
Next I placed various colors of foil sheets on the surface and burnished them with the side of a hot iron.



I dipped a sea sponge in foil paint and dabbed it across the surface of the fabric.
Next I sprinkled BoNash crystals over the top.
Once the glue was tacky dry, I placed lavender foil sheets on top and burnished them with the side of a hot iron.


The fabric remains soft.



It is good to work on more than one project at a time.
Foiling is a hurry up and wait game.....you can work on several things while waiting for the glue to become tacky enough to put the foil on top.



I dug around and found this yellow satin fabric for the borders.
The machine quilting simply follows the shapes in the yellow fabric.

Tomorrow.......Couching Fibers across this quilt.

Good Night,
LuAnn

To see my New Work CLICK HERE

To see the Thread Shed CLICK HERE

To see my Exhibit Quilts CLICK HERE

To see Tutorials CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment