Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Improv Houses...


I was pawing through the fabric cupboard

and found these surface design fabrics...

 


Created with black thickened dye...





Check out what I wrote on the selvage...

I created this fabric with hand made 

nature brushes and 

thickened dye.....in 2018





Looks like it was FUN making this piece !





These circles were created with a

nature brush made from feathers...





This fabric was created by putting strings under

the fabric then rubbing over the top with

thickened dye...



I also found this soy waxed fabric:


I wrote on the fabric with hot soy wax,

after it cooled off and hardened,

I put it in a dye bath.





I also pulled a few commercial fabrics

from the cupboard...



All of these black and white fabrics need

some RED...

These are some of my 

low immersion dyed fabrics...



This is what I will be playing with:


Left......Red Low Immersion Hand dyed Fabrics

Center......Thickened Dye Surface Design Fabrics

Right......Commercial Fabrics



This is my set up:


I will be sewing lots of little seams,

so I set up the felt ironing pad to my left,

cutting mat in the center,

sewing machine on the right...

this helps me work efficiently.



Here we go:


I am creating improv houses...

keeping it very basic





Red hand dyes for the background behind

the improv house...





A wonky house...






The hand dyed fabrics work well

in this design...




This house is wide at the top...

narrow at the bottom





Like potato chips...

can't stop at just one !





This is working....I'll make more !





Each house is different...














18 Improv Houses done today:

Looking forward to adding to this little village

sometime soon...


CLICK HERE to view all my improv work


CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts




May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,

LuAnn Kessi

No comments:

Post a Comment