Friday, September 19, 2014

Rust Dyeing…..


I am currently working on a series of Barn Lot Quilts.

My supply of rust dyed fabric is getting low…

Time to make more Rust Dyed Fabric:











100% White Cotton Fabric

Kosher Salt

White Vinegar







2 Yards of Fabric

1/4 cup of salt

Enough vinegar to saturate the fabric well






Scrunch up the fabric to mix in the salt and vinegar.

The fabric is wet, but not sitting in a puddle of liquid.





Most any rusty object works well for rust dyeing:



I am rusting yardage, 

so I am using a very large culvert screen.

40 inches wide x 6 feet long







The rustier the object the faster your fabric will rust.







The culvert screen is on a big piece of plastic.

The wet fabric is ready…






The wet fabric is placed on top of the rusty screen…







It gets wrapped up in plastic 

to keep the fabric wet during the rusting process…







It also helps to have HOT weather.

The hotter it is, the faster the fabric will rust.






I placed a 4 wheeler ramp on top 

to keep the plastic from blowing off

and to keep some pressure on the fabric 

so it will stay in contact with the rust.

Now we wait…..for 3 days.

I will not peek at it or disturb it in any way.





3 days later...


This is waiting for me when I unwrap the plastic…







Gorgeous Rusted Fabric…







2 Yards of Rust Dyed Fabric.

This will get soaked in a bucket of water 

with 1 cup of Baking Soda.

This will neutralize and stop the rusting process.

Then I will throw it in the washer and dryer.

Then it is ready to put into a quilt.





I was up before sunrise this morning 

to check on the rusty fabric bundle…

I watched the sun burn away the morning fog.







Thread Shed…







This is where I am working on the series of Barn Lot Quilts…














Water drops on an iris leaf








Lily Bud…

The soaker hose was watering the flower bed 

and the sun caught the water drops just right

and turned them shades of red and blue…..FUN!







Gunnr is having a wonderful summer!

He is 8 years old this year.

So gentle, sweet and loving…..such a joy!










CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,

LuAnn Kessi

12 comments:

  1. I haven't tried rust dyeing yet but should give it a try sometime. Great photos of you garden and one handsome boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your process, LuAnn. Now, I wonder where I can get some culvert screen! It makes beautiful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rust and this one came out beautiful!!

    Gunr...is he rust dyed too? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey…..Gunnr does look like he has been rust dyed now doesn't he!

    Have a great day,
    LuAnn in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  5. LuAnn yopur rusted fabric is beautiful. Does rusting fabric harm the fabric at all? Like does it make it more acidic and eat away at the fabric at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have rust dyed fabric from 10 years ago and it still looks exactly the same, no further rust and no deterioration at all.

      LuAnn

      Delete
  6. Hi Daryl,

    The fabric will soak in baking soda to neutralize the rusting process. I have rusty fabric from 6 years ago, and it still as beautiful and soft with no further signs of deterioration. I would think eventually it will deteriorate over time, but all fabric ages at some point. I mainly use rusted fabric in art quilts that will hang on the wall. I have not used it in a bed quilt.

    Bye For Now,
    LuAnn in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wondering if the weather is not hot, will this still work? Michigan weather right now is about 50's. Just leave it a day or two longer?
    Love this look, and can't wait to try it!!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Beth, Yes you can rust dye in cooler weather, just be sure your rusty object is very rusty before you begin. You will need to leave the fabric to dye for a week or more. If you wrap it up tight in plastic, you can bring it indoors where there is some heat.
    Good Luck,
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to find this! thank you!

    ReplyDelete