Tuesday, December 11, 2012

African Mask.....Class Sample


I started working on this African Mask 2 weeks ago,

but was struggling, so put it away...



Here's what happened today:


I auditioned the mask on black background fabric...






then I tried yellow background fabric...






I tried out a few embellishments...






the embellishments show up equally well on both 

the dark and light background fabrics...




I decided I like the drama of the black fabric:


We are never short on chicken feathers around here,

so I added a feather head dress to the mask

 and fused it down.






Fused down yellow fabric for eyes and mouth...






Black wooden beads for eyes and a key for the nose...






Drawer pulls for the ears and nails for earrings...




All of the embellishments are stitched on by hand...


I need to bind the edges and mount it on stretched canvas.

See you in class on January 24, 2013



CLICK HERE to view:  African Mask Play Day

CLICK HERE to view:  Couching

CLICK HERE to view:  The Thread Shed

CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn Kessi

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I like this, and agreed with every one of your choices--black or yellow background, etc. Very dynamic piece, and mounted on the black stretched canvas seems just right.
    Martha Ginn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome masks by the way!! Really cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to view the process you went through to make the mask. Thank-you.

    As a follower of your blog, I am writing to invite you to join in gallery of Christmas Tree Skirts. Today I have written a post about the tree skirt that I made several years ago. I eagerly look forward to putting it under my tree each year. I hope that you will join me in featuring your Tree skirt. one you made, one that has been handed down for generations, perhaps it was a gift. Share your story and photos in a blog post (it can be an older post) and then visit my post and add your link to Mr. Linky and then leave a comment.

    Thank-you for considering this opportunity. Feel free to share it with any of your online or personal friends. The more the merrier.

    http://www.heatherpearson.com/2012/12/oh-christmas-tree-skirt.html

    Heather

    ReplyDelete