Sunday, September 26, 2010

Raffle Quilt.... Stitching Applique


Today I am stitching down the applique on the Raffle Quilt


Click Images to Enlarge:


I don't use a heavy satin stitch around the raw edges.
I prefer a small zig zag that doesn't draw too much attention to itself.





I match the thread color to the applique shapes.
It blends in...
That is the look I am going for here.

I am using YLI Variations Polyester Thread.
It has a nice sheen to it.




My favorite zig zag stitch for applique is:
Zig Zag Width.....3
Stitch Length.....1
It creates a tiny little zig zag big enough to catch the edges of the applique, but not too big and bulky.
It lays flat and nice.





When you zig zag, the needle should fall into the background fabric when it goes over to the right.

I also prefer an open-toe foot to allow better visibility as I follow along the edge of the applique shape.

The Steam A Seam Lite 2 Fusible Web acts as a stabilizer, the fabric doesn't pucker from all of the applique stitching.




Keep your Needle in the DOWN position
(if you have this option on your machine)





Every time I stop stitching, the needle is in the DOWN position.
This keeps the quilt in place and doesn't allow it to move.

If you don't have an Up/Down option, just hand crank your needle down into the quilt to keep it from shifting around when you stop.





I put on the movie, "How to Make an American Quilt" and the time just flew by while I stitched the applique down.....even the tedious center of this pink flower.




After 7 hours of stitching, all the the applique' work is complete.

Tomorrow I will baste the quilt sandwich together and audition some quilting threads.

Until then...

CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts


CLICK HERE to see the previous post on this Quilt

CLICK HERE to view the Vintage Beauty Raffle Quilt

CLICK HERE to view the Gummi Dots Raffle Quilt


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full of Raffle Quilts,
LuAnn

1 comment:

  1. So so beautiful. I appreciate the little tips you have given too. I am going to be trying some applique work soon and could use all the help I can get. :O)

    ReplyDelete