I found these vintage
Grandmothers Flower Garden Blocks
in an antique mall 20 years ago...
The fabrics are
Depression Era 30's and 40's...
I found them in an antique mall
They are all cut and pieced by hand...
There are only ten quilt blocks...
They are traditional with the yellow center,
solid fabric surrounding the center,
followed by a floral outer border...
They are lovely...
It is time to get them out of storage and
put them out where they can be enjoyed...
I cut a square of thin batting and
a square of backing fabric...
I layered all three pieced together
and pinned them to keep them from shifting...
I stitched all the way around the outside edge
then trimmed the seam allowance...
Then I cut and trimmed off the corners...
I slit open the back side
and turned the block right sides out...
I applied fusible web to a piece of leftover backing
cut it into narrow strips and heat set it
over the slit (no pic of that)...
Then I top stitched and quilted around
the hexagons...
Close-up View of quilting stitches...
They look so happy without the raw edges...
They will have a new life as
Candle Mats...
These fabrics were produced nearly 90 years ago
and they are finally out in the world
where they can be enjoyed...
Just in time for candle burning weather.
CLICK HERE: to see My Quilts
May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn Kessi

















No comments:
Post a Comment