Saturday, April 23, 2022

Passing the Torch...


Every Quilt has a story...


She carefully chose the flannel fabrics.

I asked her, "what do you want to do with these?"

She replied, "I want to sew all the pieces together

to make a quilt for my bed."







I cut the flannel fabrics into squares

and she pieced them together...





I told her if she finished the quilt top,

I would quilt and bind it for her...





Over a period of 2 weeks,

she stitched together seam after seam

until she thought it was big enough for her bed...





Then she went home

and I carried on with completing the quilt...





I backed it with with the flannel that

she chose for the back side...





The quilting is done and I am

squaring up the corners...





It is ready for a binding...





The lavender binding is finished...





The flannel quilt is all done...





This important quilt is documented with

a label sewn onto the back.

It is her first quilt.

She has been sewing since she was 4 years of age.

She loves to operate a sewing machine

and hopes to have one of her own someday.

As a quilter of more than 30 years,

I believe I have passed the torch.


CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts



May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,

LuAnn Kessi

#LuAnn


21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch Vicki! We had great fun together.

      Hugs,
      LuAnn

      Delete
    2. This is just beautiful 😍 thank you so much for sharing ❤️ great memories to always cherish for you and Brooklyn .

      Delete
  2. What a lovely quilt! You both did spectacular work, what a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think she's a quilter for life! Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Mary! She loves to run a sewing machine!

      Hugs,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  4. You could have issued a tissue alert at the beginning of your post!! Thrills me no end to see grandchildren being taught the passion of sewing and quilting. You are so right, labeling the quilts with all the information is so important. Beautiful child made by a beautiful child and her grammy! Definitely an heirloom of the heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An heirloom of the heart.....I love that! Thanks so much!

      Hugs,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  5. Wonderful!! That is so great that she is starting so young. And the label - amazing. What an heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comments. Start'em young, get them hooked!

      Hugs,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  6. Bravo!! dear LuAnn! You are a wonderful inspiration to so many ... and obviously an amazing Grammy. What a special treasure. Love in every stitch, I'd say! The Thread Shed has provided great magic and memories! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind and thoughtful comments.

      Much Appreciated,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  7. That's wonderful, LuAnn. You certainly have possed the torch. Beautiful girl quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is just beautiful. She did a great job choosing her fabrics and the placement. I know she is hooked! I still have my first quilt. My grandmother gave me a box of scraps and a pattern which she had started and told me if I hand pieced it that she would quilt it for me. I was a young teenager at the time. It was many years later before I picked it up again and by the time I had finished the top, I had to hand quilt it myself! That was so nice of you to be part of her first quilt memory! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every quilt does have a story Pamela! Thanks for sharing yours!

      Hugs,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  9. What a sweet, pretty quilt! Your granddaughter did a fine job piecing the squares together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She loves to sew and sometimes lets me know if my seams aren't straight.

      Happy Spring,
      LuAnn

      Delete