Sunday, October 4, 2020

Face Masks and Feeding Cattle...

 

Now that the hay field has been seeded and

bedded down for the winter,

I have time to spend at my sewing machine:



This is what the sewing table looks like today..





In honor of autumn,
I pulled out some leaf fabrics
and turned them into face masks...






Rather than make one mask at a time,
I stitch them up assembly line style...





Autumn Face Masks

















I am heading into town next week
and will share these with family and friends!



It's that time of the year...


Cow Feeding Time...






We feed free choice hay to the cattle,
which means there is hay in front of them 24/7.



This is our one of our new replacement heifers:


Althea

Yes, she is gorgeous !





This is my sweet Golden Girl...



This is Golden Girls calf this year:


Buffalo Bill

He looked just like a buffalo calf 
when he was born !



We feed daily in 4 different locations:


There are 100 head of cow and calf pairs
in this field...





There are 40 head of cow and calf pairs
in this field...
just across the river you can see our place.

Every morning there are a lot of mouths to feed!






I do not have a pattern or tutorial for my masks, however, below is a link to a mask making video that is very similar to the way I make mine. 

I add a nose wire.  


CLICK HERE for Mask Tutorial


CLICK HERE for Mask Patterns


CLICK HERE for Ear Elastic


CLICK HERE for Nose Wires


CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,

LuAnn Kessi

8 comments:

  1. OMG I had no idea that a heifer was so huge. Your posts are like from a new wild country..so foreign to me. Thank you for sharing. I wonder if these are cattle for food? My guess is that you are not raising cattle for pets...sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our Shorthorn cattle are very large. Yes, these are commercial beef cattle. Every fall after the calves are weaned from the cows, we choose the best heifers and keep them as replacement cows for our herd. Those are our pets. So glad you are enjoying the blog. Many thanks for your comment.

      My Best To you,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  2. What a fun post for Fall. I've been thinking I need to make some Fall Masks. Thanks for sharing and inspiring. Now I just need to find some yummy Fall fabrics like yours. Thanks for sharing your cow pictures too. Buffalo Bill really is a muscular guy, quite appropriately named. He is going to be a really big guy. I hope you have a very Happy Fall with plenty of time to enjoy and create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your very kind comments. So glad you got a bit of inspiration to get in the autumn vibe for mask making.
      My Best To You,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  3. You have very healthy looking cattle. We usually start feeding hay like you in rings around the in of the year. Your bull calf is very handsome and stout We have at times named ours too. Your masks are very nice and makes me want to make new ones for the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rose, Many thanks for your very kind comments!

    Wishing you a wonderful Autumn,
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Althea is gorgeous - great markings will make her easy to pick out of the herd!! Golden Girl is such a beauty and easily recognized...Buffalo Bill is a big boy - will he be added to your bulls? I haven't seen the bottle boys or Ferdinand recently and hope they are doing well. Great masks, I need to make some more and send them off to my daughters but I need black round elastic for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are enjoying the cattle images. Buffalo Bill is a steer. We don't raise our own bulls, but sometimes wish we did. The bottle boys are doing just great. They are here at our place the last few months with one of the cow herds. They are doing so well, so big and beautiful and sweet. They come up to the yard fence to visit. We sold Fernando last spring to people who needed a beautiful shorthorn bull to breed their cows. He has a really nice home, but we do miss him. Amazon carries the black round elastic.
      Many thanks for your comments. Have a great Autumn, LuAnn

      Delete