Friday, March 27, 2020

Friends at the Fence...


Look what's up on the Design Wall...



I have had this panel for close to a year now...




I put it up on the design wall...

then waited for inspiration to set in.





English Paper Pieced Hexagons...

on the table





Now, I am inspired !




Here goes...


The sky has a very soft pink 

running through it...

I pinned up the light blue and pink hexagons

 along the sky.





At this point, the sky is blocked in 

with blue hexagons.





I have started on the lower portion...

blacks, browns, rusts 

to go with the horse colors.





I am getting goose bumps...

that means we are headed in the right direction.





I have decided the border treatment

will be 5 hexagons wide...





At this point...

I am about 4 hours into pinning up hexagons






I am calling it pinned !





Before I began,  

I put 4 white strips of fabric around the panel.

The hexagons can now be pinned onto those

fabric strips, removed from the wall,

and I can take them with me for hand piecing.





Just guessing,

this will take me several months to piece.

I will keep you posted on my progress.





CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts




May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,

LuAnn Kessi


23 comments:

  1. Did you start with some kind of a grid in order to know how many hexagons of each color family you needed to prepare? This is a wonderful idea and it looks really good. You are so very creative! By the way I (and the DH too!) enjoyed the calfing videos a LOT, especially how you dealt with the rejected calf. How is he doing with his new Mama? Annick H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, No, I didn't start with a grid......I just guessed how many hexagons I would need to cover with fabric. I ended up with 100 extra hexagons when I was done pinning them up. The rejected twin calf just adores his new mama and she just loves him. We see them together each day when we go over to check on the cows. He is growing like a weed and runs like the wind through the pasture. Many thanks for your comment.

      Stay Well,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  2. Hi LuAnn. I love it! And the way you used color! Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome! Can't wait to see it finished. Sew Creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy. I am already thinking about how I will quilt it.....FUN!

      Stay Healthy,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  4. Thank you for showing the progression! I learn so much from you LuAnn. I wasn't sure I'd like it when you started and by the last picture I'm in love with your colors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, that makes two of us....I didn't know if I was going to like it either....thankfully it all worked out.

      Stay Healthy,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  5. Oh my word, that is a-w-e-s-o-m-e!! I can’t wait to see this finished! But, no pressure��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Thanks Peggyinno! I am already thinking about the machine quilting....FUN!

      Stay Healthy,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  6. Oh, I am soooooooooooooooo IMPRESSED! That is just amazing what you did with the panel and those hexagons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Alycia!

      Stay well and healthy,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  8. That is going to be a stunning quilt!!! My boy is the one in the middle!!! I'm working on a OBW with a panel as the centerpiece, but as little hand sewing here as possible!!! I can't wait to see your quilt finished!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can also related to all three of these horses....they have lived here on our place over the years. They are all gone now, but this quilt will be a sweet reminder of the memories they created here for us on the ranch. Many thanks for your comments.

      Stay well,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  9. That border is just stunning! It really enhances the horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shasta! Much Appreciated.

      Stay Healthy,
      LuAnn

      Delete
  10. That is an interesting way to frame a fabric panel. Lots of stitching but well worth it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete