Friday, August 9, 2013

Quilting Sketch Book......Background Filler Design



Here's a FUN background fill design:


Hair Bands


It can be used around applique work or to

fill any negative space on traditional

or art quilts.




Hair Bands Tutorial:


Chalk out wavy lines on the fabric






Begin by adding hair band shapes...

these remind me of the brown, plastic 

hair bands I wore when I was in grade school.






Complete the first row of hair bands






Begin the second row of hair bands...

going in the opposite direction






First 2 rows are completed...







Add your third row of hair bands...

going in the opposite direction






Three rows of hair bands completed...






You get the idea...







Fill up all available space with

Hair Bands

There is no travel stitching.




For a Wonky Look...


Angle the chalk lines for a wonky look.

Works great on art quilts!




Inspiration from the Flower Beds:


The Red Sunflowers are blooming...






in the back yard...







Yellow and Pink Spider Dahlias...













White Star Lily













Pink Star Lily











CLICK HERE: Soy Wax Batik Class 9/28/13




CLICK HERE to view my online Sketch Book




CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,

LuAnn Kessi

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Thanks for all the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun indeed! I love the look of this design! BTW: If your flowers were food, they would good enough to eat! Your photography is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello PeggyB and Homemother,
    Many Thanks for your kind comments. so glad you are enjoying and inspired by the blog. Enjoy your summer, LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, LuAnn! I just today found your blog and I am so pleased to see your work and thank you for posting your sketches! I was working up some simple ideas for Christmas gifts for a ladies gathering and I had to use your filler designs for placemats. I don't seem to come up with ideas of my own but, ideas like yours allow me to choose and run! Thank you, again, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet that creates wonderful texture! I guess it would work in a larger or smaller scale too - very useful :)

    ReplyDelete