Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Portrait Quilt.......Turkey Boy


I decided to create a new class sample for my
Portrait Quilt Class later this month...




I took this photo 18 years ago of my son, Heath.
The Harlan Turkey Boy





This is the image after altering it in Photoshop Elements 4
and printing it on Cotton Sateen Fabric.

I removed the clothesline, dog and another boy in the background
of the photo to simplify things.




The face and arms are colored in with Neocolor II Crayons.
I have my own blend of colors to create flesh tones...





The hair is colored in...





The pants are colored in....
I took artistic license and changed the color of the pants.






I also changed the color of the shirt from white to red...






At this point the turkey and the grass are also colored in.




I have added a new color tool to my tool box:


Inktense Blocks
Just like Inktense Pencils.....but BIGGER!





Inktense Blocks cover a larger area much quicker than the pencils.
They made short work of the big sky area in this portrait.




At this point the entire portrait has been colored in with
Neocolor II Crayons and Inktense Blocks:


I am 2 hours and 45 minutes into this portrait so far...




Let's move on to painting the portrait:


Heath and the turkey's head are painted...





Check out how intense the red becomes when painted.
Now you see why I changed the color of the shirt...






The shirt is completely painted at this point...




Let's paint the turkey:


The turkey is dark and rich looking now...





The grass is painted.




At this point the portrait is completely painted:


It took 1 hour and 15 minutes to paint the portrait.





4 hours total to add color to this fabric portrait.

I need a snack before I begin the quilting!



CLICK HERE to view My Quilts


CLICK HERE: Portrait Class Information

CLICK HERE: Photoshop Elements 4 Tutorial

CLICK HERE: Inktense Block Tutorial


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn



4 comments:

  1. Fascinating!! This is W-A-Y out of my box! Can't wait for the class! LOL!

    doni @ Oregon coast

    ReplyDelete
  2. What size did you print at and how did you print it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a wide path Epson Workforce 1100 printer. It prints 13 x 19 inches. I iron the fabric onto the shiny side of freezer paper, cut it to size, then print.

    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete