Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Portrait Quilt Class......January 21, 2012

Sign Up Now !

Adventures in Art Quilts Series
continues at
1243 Main Street
Philomath, OR 97370
541-929-3795


Adventures in Portrait Quilts
Saturday, January 21, 2012
Instructor: LuAnn Kessi




This is a brand new technique developed by me, LuAnn Kessi
to create Fabric Portrait Quilts.




The best part is, this is a beginner level class.
Yes, you can create a quilted portrait, and you will have great fun learning how!




This process is as simple as coloring in a child's color book.
Come into JLC and view the portrait quilts on display and sign up for class.



Gunnr is a calendar boy:


My portrait Quilt of Gunnr
appears in the 2012 Quilting Arts Calendar




2012 Quilting Arts Calendar




Gunnr is Mr. February




Full Curl

Your portrait can be a person, your pet, a flower, etc.
You will be working from your own personal photo.
You can also work from one of my photos:
Animals, Flowers, Birds
The choice is yours.




You will send me your photo by email or regular mail so that I can digitally alter it and prepare it for class.
Your original image will remain untouched.

The day of class I will provide you with a 13 x 19 inch image on fabric.
You will learn to use Neocolor II Crayons and Inktense Pencils.

Sign up for Class at JLC and Send me Your Image!

Questions?
Contact me at: kessi@pioneer.net


Adventures in Portrait Quilts
Saturday, January 21, 2012
Instructor: LuAnn Kessi
Full Day Class 9:30 - 4:00

Class Description:

This is a brand new technique developed by LuAnn Kessi to create Fabric Portrait Quilts. The best part is, this is a beginner level class. Yes, you can create a quilted portrait, and you will have great fun learning how. This process is as simple as coloring in a child’s coloring book. Come into JLC and view the portrait quilts on display and sign up!

$20 Lab Fee Payable to the instructor the day of class
(Fee covers the printed 13 x 19 inch portrait on fabric supplied by your instructor , Neocolor II Crayons, Paint Brushes, Fabric Medium, etc.)


Class Supply List:

You may use your personal photo of a person or choose one of my flower, bird or animal images.
If using your own image, send it to me in an email NOW so that I can alter the image and get it printed on fabric for you.
A very close up, well lit, clear image in a high resolution of one person or your pet works best.
Email To: kessi@pioneer.net

If your portrait is completed before the end of the day and you wish to begin the quilting process, you will need:

Sewing Machine (cleaned oiled and in good working order w/manual)
Topstitch Needles Size 70 & 80
Free Motion Darning Foot (Be sure you can drop the feed dogs on your machine)
Cotton or Polyester Threads for machine quilting various colors (fine threads size 50 or higher, nothing thick or heavy)
(you may wish to purchase thread at JLC after your portrait has been colored to match your thread color)
My favorite portrait thread is Bottom Line by Superior Threads.
1/2 Yard thin cotton batting
Assortment of fat quarters for borders and backing fabric.
(you may wish to purchase fat quarters at JLC after your portrait has been colored)
Glue Stick
Apron or Smock

I will bring a trunk show of art quilts with me to exhibit at lunch time. You may wish to bring a sack lunch so you can view the trunk show.

Visit LuAnn’s Blog to view Portrait Quilts:


CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts

CLICK HERE to view a Portrait Class Slideshow

CLICK HERE to watch me create Gunnr's Portrait Quilt

CLICK HERE to watch me work on the Full Curl Portrait Quilt


Looking forward to seeing YOU in class!


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full of Portraits,
LuAnn

4 comments:

  1. Very cool! I wish I lived in Oregon so I could take your class!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure wish I could , it would be such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't you live in Oklahoma?! I'd take it in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just happened to come across your blog and was watching your video. I sure wish you were in Illinois because I would love to take your class.

    ReplyDelete