Friday, July 13, 2018

Brushes from Nature...



Creating Handcrafted Brushes




from natural objects...













We gathered various botanicals...













My botanicals were mostly weeds that I picked 

along the road side

as we moved the cattle this morning...






The Art Sisters are at the Quilt Palace

getting crazy with handcrafting brushes!






Ferns






Cedar






Old Man's Beard Lichen






Hydrangea






Feather






It is quite joyful creating marks

with objects from nature...






Circles are always a favorite!






Here are the brushes I created...






The fern brush created tree shapes







The feather created broad strokes






The stems created tiny strokes






The foxgloves created bold circles






The pine needles also made great circles






I thoroughly enjoyed testing out all of the

nature brushes on fabric.




All of our brushes drying in a pitcher...

makes a beautiful display!


Enjoy the Video of Nature Brushes:

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox



CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts




May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,

LuAnn Kessi

7 comments:

  1. How cool..what a great technique. I want to come live with you. I'll work on the farm then learn more fun things fro you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the P2P instructors have been wanting to play with nature brushes for quite some time now. It was great to give it a try. I can see more of us using this technique in future surface design work on fabric.

      Delete
  2. What a fun way to paint! The botanical brushes are fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the brushes are just as beautiful as they are practical......art in themselves really.

      Delete
  3. LuAnn, What a great post! Never thought about making brushes. Thanks for the inspiration, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should give it a try Lynda! The brushes are great fun to make.....most anything works for a brush.

      Delete
  4. Hi everyone, I haven't been receiving any blogger comments for several months now. I thought everyone was having a fun and busy summer and wasn't reading the blog.....just today I discovered lots and lots of blogger comments waiting for my moderation. Not sure how that happened? I will try and respond to any questions you had....which may take me awhile to get through several months of comments, but I will peck away at it a little each day. Sorry for the lack of communication on my part. Happy to see all of the comments waiting for me. My Best To You, LuAnn Kessi in Western Oregon

    ReplyDelete