Saturday, January 15, 2011

Neocolor II Iris Portrait....In Progress


I continue to work with the
Neocolor II Water Soluble Crayons

This is a photo I took last summer of our Iris bed.
The Pink Iris are a perfect subject for this type of portrait.
One big focal point works best

Let's see where the day takes us...


Black & White image of the iris is printed on 13 x 19 inch Fabric on the inkjet wide path printer





I begin with the lightest colors first.

Yes, this is like coloring in a child's color book.....and it is fun!

Yes, I will be offering this as a class later this year...

Yes, I will post the class offering so you can sign up.





Continue to color in each petal of the flower, shading & highlighting as you go.






You can see on the left side of the flower, I have taken a darker crayon and traced around the edges of the petals to define them.






At this point, the entire flower is colored in with Neocolor II Crayons.
I will not color in the background until later...



This is where the fun begins:


With a solution of water and textile medium...
the flower is wet with a small paintbrush.





I love that vibrant color !





One last petal and then the inner flower portion and the Iris is done...





The entire flower has been painted with the water solution.
After it dries, I will begin the background areas.






The Iris photograph has an out-of-focus background of green leaves.
I could simply color it all in green, and that would look great.
I could color it all in blue, to represent the sky, and that would work.
But, I love the iris leaves, so have drawn them out freehand in the background.





At this point the background is colored in with the crayons...






Time to wet it down...





The colors remain this vibrant even after the piece is dry.

It is now ready to be basted with batting and backing and go under the needle!

CLICK HERE to view the Iris...Quilted.

CLICK HERE to view Photoshop Elements Tutorial

CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts

CLICK HERE to view Gunnr's Neocolor II Portrait

CLICK HERE to view Neocolor II Class

CLICK HERE to view Rust Dyeing


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,
LuAnn

4 comments: