Saturday, January 21, 2017

Microwave Dyeing......Class Prep




We spent the day gathering up supplies

for a class I am leading in February in

Microwave Dyeing...



I keep plenty of microwaves in the closet

for teaching this class...







I pulled out the

MX Fiber Reactive Dye powders...

I cut up the color chips from the

Dharma MX Dye Poster

to label my dye powder jars.







I rounded up 3 dozen bottles to hold

the dye concentrates...







My preferred method of 

mixing dye concentrates is 

with a hand held electric mixer...

Lots of these in the thrift stores!






How can this be work when...

it is so pretty!






Most every color on the wheel is mixed up

as a dye concentrate for the upcoming class...

My Art Sister, Kathi, has mixed up 

most of the dyes for class.

Now that's a true friend!





I use the Dharma MX Dye poster...

I cut up the dye color chips and tape them onto

the dye bottles.

This will help the students choose the colors

they would like to use.






We will need lots of measure containers, etc.







Soda Ash is our mordant...






The students will be dyeing:

Fat Quarters

Flour Sack Towels

Bamboo Socks









This is what we will need to pack for the class...

plus the microwaves.







Permission 2 Play Class
Dyeing Fabric in the Microwave
Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 1pm
JanniLou Creations Quilt Shop
1243 Main Street
Philomath, OR
541-929-3795



CLICK HERE to view Microwave Dyeing posts




CLICK HERE:  to see My Quilts


May Your Bobbin Always Be Full,

LuAnn Kessi


5 comments:

  1. WOW...thought I was organized when teaching a class! Kudo's to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a fun class! I wish I was closer so I could go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LuAnn, I always learn so much from reading your posts! I like the idea of using the cut up color chart to mark the bottles of dye. I went to the Dharma site and can only find a photo of the chart that I printed just a moment ago. The color squares are very small. I did not see an option to buy a preprinted chart, with larger color chips. Did you print your own? Or do I just need to look around their site a bit more to find one to buy?
    Thank you for sharing your seemingly endless crafty knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought mixed dye only lasted about a week to ten days, especially unrefrigerated. Aren't you concerned about that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Donaleen,

    I have a dye frig that I store all of my dye concetrates in.....I have kept dyes for more than a year and they work just fine for my needs.

    My Best To You,
    LuAnn

    ReplyDelete